Think of simple, creative ways to give children opportunities to share what they are learning. For example, prepare different-sized strips of paper, and let each child select one at random. Invite the child with the longest paper to share first.
Children are constantly learning. Help them see that Heavenly Father will help them learn about Him if they obey His commandments.
What are commandments? (Things Heavenly Father has told us to do.)
What are some of the commandments?
The commandments are like road signs to help us find our way. They show us the right path to follow to return to Heavenly Father.
Commandment Road Signs
Display the “Commandment Road Signs”. Briefly read or tell something about each of the scriptures or illustrations on the road signs. Explain that you will describe a situation and then the children are to decide which commandment on a road sign will help them choose the right. Explain any words that are difficult for the children to understand. Let the children take turns pointing to the different commandments that show the right way.
- You are walking home from a friend’s house when another friend sees you. He asks you to come to his house to play. But your mother had asked you to come straight home, and you promised you would. Your friend tells you that it won’t hurt to be a little late getting home. What commandment would help you choose the right?
- You have been earning money to buy a ball by doing extra chores for your parents. The store has the ball on sale, but you still don’t have enough money unless you borrow from your tithing. Which commandment would help you choose the right?
- It’s late and your family has just returned home. You are tired and want to go to bed. Then you remember that your family forgot to pray before everyone went off to bed. What commandment will help you choose the right?
- Your best friend invites you to go to a movie on Sunday. You have wanted to see that movie for a long time. What commandment would help you choose the right?
- You are playing with your friends. A boy who has called you names comes along and wants to play too. What commandment would help you choose the right?
- You are with some friends and some of them want you to take a drink of some alcohol that one of them brought from home. Your parents have taught you that drinking alcohol is wrong. What commandment would help you choose the right?
Give each child the two copies of the book. If your class is younger, you may want to assemble the book for them.
Have the older children cut the pages out and then staple the pages together, creating the book. After they can color the Commandments.
Making the right choices isn’t always easy and that sometimes we may go the wrong way. Heavenly Father’s commandments can help us find the right way to go and give us a good feeling so that we know we are making right choices. They will help us to return to our Heavenly Father. We will be glad about our choices if we choose the right.
Suggest that the children take their book home and share with their families.
Either now or in the future, the children you teach will be comforted to know that because of the Savior’s Atonement, all who have died will be resurrected one day.
Show the children a picture of one of your loved ones who has died, and share a story about that person
. Read Doctrine and Covenants 63:49 to the children, and testify that one day that person will “rise from the dead” and never die again
. Ask the children if they know someone who has died. Testify that we will all be resurrected because of Jesus Christ.
We live in a day when sacred things are often disregarded or even mocked. You can help the children develop a sense of reverence for sacred things.