Doctrine and Covenants 12–13; Joseph Smith—History 1:66–75
“Upon You My Fellow Servants”
Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Home Evening
“The Priesthood Is Restored,” Children’s Songbook, 89
- Joseph Smith—History 1:71
What impresses members of your family about Oliver Cowdery’s words?
What are some of your family’s “days never to be forgotten”?
What might build your family’s faith in the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood?
With the artwork help your family visualize the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood.
They could also share their testimonies about the power of the priesthood in their lives.
For more ideas for teaching children, see this week’s outline in Teaching Stripling Warriors Come, Follow Me—For Primary.
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup milk I use 2%
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with foil and spray foil with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand-mixer, add the melted butter and cocoa powder. Using the paddle attachment, blend until smooth.
- Add the flour and sugar. Beat together then add eggs and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix. (Batter will be thick)
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove brownies from oven and let stand 15 minutes before frosting. You want the brownies still warm when you frost them!
- FOR CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Beat together all the frosting ingredients until smooth. Pour and spread over warm brownies. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Doctrine and Covenants 12:8.
Why are the characteristics listed in this verse necessary when we are doing the Lord’s work?
- Joseph Smith—History 1:68.
How can we follow the example of Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to find answers to our questions? Perhaps as you read together, you could make it a regular habit to pause and ask if anyone has questions about what they are reading.
- Joseph Smith—History 1:73–74.
What effect did the Holy Ghost have on Joseph and Oliver? When has the Spirit helped your family understand the scriptures and rejoice in the Lord?
For more ideas for teaching children, see this week’s outline in Come, Follow Me—For Primary.
Suggested song: .